Food By Maria. Fear Not. Food Is Your Friend.
Today I want to share this beautiful human with you. Since embarking on our new plant based lifestyle I have met so many wonderful people who inspire me to cook mothers natures best, whole foods.
Food By Maria is a safe place where Maria talks about her past, shares original healthy recipes and interacts with more than 95,000 engaged followers. Her website, blog and social media platforms act as a podium from which to tell inspiring stories about food created to help others embrace a rewarding, health-focused lifestyle. Maria believes that food is our friend and that there is no need to compromise flavour on the path to health and happiness. Her love of food, advanced cooking ability and the fact that her personal testimony includes beating bulimia after a six-year struggle, makes her site relatable and inspiring on a variety of levels. Equipped with a passion for healthy living and an online community that continues to grow, FoodByMaria is expanding to include a variety of publications designed to help others achieve the same lust for life she showcases with every colourful post. Maria's personal and professional goals revolve around a desire to work closely with her community, local producers and anyone out there who, like her, want food to be their friend.
Maria spends 5 minutes with us today to share more about her fitness, food and lifestyle;
1. What fitness activity do you schedule into your daily routine to keep healthy?
Everyday I go to the gym and lift weights. This is my way to of releasing stress and letting off some steam! There is nothing more fun to me then walking into the gym and crushing a solid work-out!
2. Describe your dream meal - what could we expect to find on your plate?
My dream meal would hands down be a balance of carbs, and healthy leafy greens! Something like a gorgeous Pasta with Luscious Cashew Cream sauce with a side of Kale + Carrot Salad! I chose to transition towards a more plant based eating lifestyle because of the way it makes me feel, and to help the environment. I have been a greens lover since I was very young so this transition has been going quite well for me.
3. Who’s your go to style icon - who have you always admired for their style, and why?
This is super hard to answer because I look up to so many people for so many reasons. I really enjoy simple, yet classy style. I don't often wear too bright of colours anymore, and if I am honest I think my favourite colour might even be black! If I had to narrow it down I would probably say a mix between Kate Moss + Emma Watson, but with being say I rarely dress like my icons. You will often find my in my trainers, and work-out gear because that is just how I roll!
4. What’s a childhood habit or mannerism that has followed you into adulthood?
Cooking + Cleaning. Since I was a little girl I was always in the kitchen with my Mama helping cook and would stay by her side (sometimes unwillingly) till the kitchen and home were cleaned before bed. Maybe these tendencies have something to do with my OCD and constant need to be organized and planning my next step. A clean home, and a healthy nourished belly are certainly two of my main contributing factors to success.
5. Name three things you can’t leave the house without and why?
I could not leave my house without my to-do list, water bottle and cell phone! My to-do list keeps my organized and on track, my water bottle is my lifeline and keeps my hydrated and lastly my phone is my job. It pays the rent so I never leave the house without it! No opportunities missed with me!
Here's one of my favourite recipes by Maria.
REFRIED BEANS + AVOCADO TACOS! (serves 6)
- 6 tortillas
- 1 can refried beans, homemade is great too!
- your favourite meat substitute, I used more beans and some TVP!
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup fresh sprouts
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup kimchi, I know, I am weird
- Preheat you oven to 300F
- Place your tortillas onto a sheet pan lined with parchment and set aside.
- Into a small pan add your refried beans and cook till completely hot throughout.
- In the mean time prepare your sprouts, cilantro and tomatoes by washing, and roughly chopping into bite sizes!
- Prepare your favourite guacamole using the avocado (I will write mine above) and save some for garnish!
- At the last minute add your tortillas to the oven for around 3 minutes, or till warm enough for you!
- Simply prepare by layering your beans, protein, veg and guac!
- They are that easy!
Thank you beautiful Maria for spending time with us today, I adore you.
365 Lifestyle Motivator